One of the biggest hits at Red, White and Brews comes from an unlikely source: bacon-wrapped chicken hearts. No, there’s no cutesy wordplay going on in this BBQ treat’s name—it’s really skewered chicken hearts. And it’s really, really good!
BBQ Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Hearts
- ¼ lb chicken hearts (cleaned and split in half)
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 8 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 oz oil
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 4 bacon strips (cut in half lengthwise)
- 4 oz BBQ sauce
- 4 bamboo skewers
- Combine chicken hearts, onion, garlic, thyme, oil and black pepper
- Place in refrigerator and marinade for 24 hours
- Skewer approximately 8 heart pieces per bamboo skewer
- Wrap with bacon strip and bake for 10 minutes at 400°F
- Remove from oven and glaze with BBQ sauce
- Return to oven for five minutes
- Remove from oven and serve
Are you an adventurous eater or more traditional BBQ enthusiast? Either way, Red, White and Brews is the place to be this weekend. The event, a hometown celebration of Americana food and fun, brings tons of excitement to the Hometown Square area of the park, bringing exciting foods (like warm apple pie, cheddar and bacon parfaits or BBQ pork buns), live music, more than 30 draft beers, Northern California wines, oversized picnic games, balloon artists and so much more.
Don’t miss out on the last two days of Red, White and Brews this weekend!